Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Commons Update

This year has started out really well for The Commons.  After all the holidayness that has gone around we still kept the festivities going in January.  There were ladies movie nights followed with dessert and coffee with a game after.  Some birthdays and Bunco parties.  If you haven't ever played Bunco and like games....try it! 
I'm trying to be more intentional with building relationships with some of the ladies on the fringe of our community. 
The end of January brought something very exciting for The Commons 2011.  Tim announced that we were starting up a 4-week membership class on Tuesday and Wednesday nights.  We have over 30 who are attending these classes.  We are going to offer them again on Sunday nights at the end of February.  This is a crucial time for The Commons.  Some of the people attending have never attended or have ever been an offical member of a church so this is huge.  It's all very exciting!
We are still continuing the ladies 'Breaking Free' Beth Moore bible study.  It's been a great thing for the ladies and myself.  We have a couple more weeks left and Amy, Becky and myself have talked about just doing a straight bible study for the remaining weeks.  I am really excited about that.
The men are doing a book study on Monday nights that started with Monday night football.  Then it turned into a book study and then football and with football over it's now just a book study.  That was a huge blessing to see develop. 
Amy, Becky and myself met a few weeks ago to talk about Sports Camp 2010.  The dates are set for July 12-16th.  If anyone is interested in coming up here to serve in this great outreach opportunity please let me know.  I have a house now and plenty of floor space. 
For 2010 I have been assigned two new responsibilities.  One is Assimilation for The Commons.  I had to learn what that word even meant and then what it actually looks like.  The wonderful thing about being a church plant with an emphasis on community and sharing God's word is the fluidity that we have with outreach.  Outreach can look like so many things.  Assimilation can look so many different ways.  I look forward to what assimilation is going to look like over the years for The Commons. 
The other is responsibility is Events and Activities.  This includes everything from our game nights to Sunday lunches after church to the dinner we provide at the family membership classes.  This is me learning how to cook, how to budget and how to cater.  :-)  I can start my own business after this and tell you how much money it would take to feed over 50 people.  Get any more people than that and I don't know if I could tell you....I would just order pizza.  Just kidding. 
With these responsibilities comes the need to know how to delegate.  Unfortunately I do not know how to do this.  This will only hurt me in the long run because I will drive myself insane because I won't let anything go.  This has to be a prayer focus for me.  I know I can do it and I know once I get the hang of things it shouldn't be that difficult....but I just have to learn it.  I hear it takes 30 days of a new habit to take the place of an old 'bad' habit.  I guess I need to delegate something for the next 30 days.....that should be interesting for those around me....or tortorous! 

Kat

No comments: